What Is A Tribe?
Ever since Seth Godin published his book Tribes marketers have been developing how to find your tribe methods that people have been buying into for years. The problem is that people are finding that the whole process is a lot more complicated then is sounds. After all when your learning how to make a tribe doesn’t seem kinda daunting?
But don’t worry too much about the details because as you go through this process you going to find that the tribes are already there. You just have to position yourself as a leader within them. And knowing that you’ll understand that you don’t have to know how to create a tribe, you have to learn how to lead one.
So first of all we need to identify the definition of a tribe.
Well to put it simply a tribe is a group of people that are connected together by an idea, a leader, and to each other.
But don’t let that scare you.
An idea can be something as broad as the desire to “make money online”. Or something as specific as “make money online blogging about real estate ventures”. The point is that your tribe believes, or rather knows, that you can achieve that specific idea.
A leader is just that, someone who believes in the idea as well. But not only that, someone who has a solution to a problem that your tribe is facing right now. You can be that leader, even if your new to marketing, because there are definitely people out there just like you getting started today. Think about what you didn’t know when you first got started. Now think about all that you have learned thus far, don’t you think people would love to here solutions to the same problems that you faced?
And to each other. People are doing this everyday on Facebook. I bet your a member of a group or two that discusses specific subjects in relation to your idea. I know I am. I even have my own Facebook group branded to my name, Clint Butler. Or how about this, what if your tribe was focused around your Facebook page. There your tribe could comment on specific issues or even interact with each other.
Watch this TED talk by Seth Godin on The Tribes We Lead
Difference Between A Tribe And A Niche
People get so focused on how to make money that they start looking for little corners that they can paint themselves into.
And this really is not your fault.
Let me explain.
Many of you know that I come from a strong seo background. And in seo you have to first identify your niche. Your target market. Otherwise what are you building your site for.
Your niche could be something as broad a internet marketing.
Or as narrow as weight loss for new mothers.
But when it comes to your tribe you need to change your thinking a bit to really open up the amount of people who might be relevant to you.
For example, lets take the subject of email marketing.
If your marketing online one of the first things that you hear is that you need to start building a solid list. Whether your using email or direct mail that list is where your money is going to come from.
And if your marketing online email marketing is your method of keeping in touch with your prospective customers and customers who have already purchased your products or services.
So you have to know that there are a lot of people out there who are trying to do the same thing.
One group who is just starting out.
One group who has a small list and wants it bigger.
One group who has a large list but can not seem to make it more responsive.
Each of those different groups can make a great tribe for you to be involved in depending on your current level of knowledge on the subject.
And you can do that with any topic your talking about.
How Does A Tribe Help Your Business Grow
I really can’t explain to you how important this is to your business better than these two video’s do.
Finding Your Tribe
There are a few key things that you need to keep in mind while building your own tribe.
1. Seek to alienate people who don’t connect with you. Instead of trying to be a person who blends in. Be completely ok with make people mad at you. I can’t tell you how many times I have deleted a comment or article I have written because I thought it might offend someone. It wasn’t until I understood that if I offended them. Then I probably didn’t want to do business with them anyway. That relationship between us would never have been a good one. So its best they leave offended early on, versus offended after they purchased something from me.
2. Seek to connect deeply with people who do connect with you. This is how your tribe will be strong. This is how you get and keep repeat buyers. The people whom you connect with strongly will go out of their way to hear what you have to say.
3. Figure out if your tribe is hungry. Drive, commitment to success, level of integrity. If they are not truly hungry then it isn’t a tribe that you can serve.
4. Are these people that are willing to get out of their comfort zone and make some bigger strides to move things forward?
5. Is this a group that I can see expanding and growing? Are there more and more people there?
How To Find Your Tribe?
1. Define who are you. Resonate with values. Your personal approach to your business. Why you started your business. Your tribe is like you, they are just one step behind in some area.
2. Define the very specific problems that your tribe is facing.
3. Develop a solution to those problems.
4. Develop content that provides that solution. I do this in many forms. Blog content, video content, and audio content are the best ways for me.
5. Promote your content daily. I really can’t stress enough how important it is to promote your content. How can you be a leader if people can’t find your stuff?
Can Someone Have Multiple Tribes?
There is a common misconception that you have to maintain one tribe and that’s it.
This couldn’t be further from the truth.
As a matter of fact you can actually create a tribe for each of your products.
Lets dive down deeper into marketing topics.
You main focus for example may be marketing online.
You could have a tribe for email marketing. And then a second on Facebook marketing. A third on video marketing.
Don’t limit yourself to one tribe, because in the end your going to limit you business.
That doesn’t mean though that you want to try to everyone in either. If your marketing is for real estate professionals, then tailor your topics to those people.
You found this post because you wanted to learn how to find your tribe. And I hope that I was able to provide you with a more definitive way to do that. I could have course gone step by step on how to build your tribe using various methods but in truth you already know how to do that in your market.
The real point of this finding your tribe article is that you need to learn that you can’t please everyone. But you can over deliver for a few. And its those few that will make or break your business.
Comment down below and tell me if your building your own tribe. Or perhaps your a member a great tribe that you would like to share.